Films: Idris Elba
- Filtered by:
- Idris Elba
The Jungle Book
- Directed by: Jon Favreau
- Cast: Neel Sethi, Idris Elba, Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray
- UK release: 16 October 2015
Live-action retelling of Rudyard Kipling's tale, rumoured to be directed by Jon Favreau.
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
- UK/South Africa
- 146 min
- Directed by: Justin Chadwick
- Cast: Idris Elba, Naomie Harris, Terry Pheto
- UK release: 3 January 2014
Biopic of Nelson Mandela, from childhood to inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa.
- Directed by: Guillermo del Toro
- Cast: Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman
- UK release: 12 July 2013
Giant aliens called the Kaijus emerge from the seabed to invade Earth: humanity fights back using giant robots called Jaegers with two-person crews. Overblown, repetitive, humourless and cliché-ridden; del Toro's intention of making a family-friendly action film has led to his first real dud.
- 123 min
- Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Written by: Jon Spaihts, Damon Lindelof
- Cast: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green, Charlize Theron
- UK release: 1 June 2012
In the definitely-not-a-prequel-to- Alien, a spaceship's crew investigates what appears to be an alien vessel. Despite a largely effective cast and stratospheric technical values the plot is murky and the tone is inconsistent, as if the creators are no wiser than the audience about what it all adds up to.
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
- 95 min
- Directed by: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor
- Cast: Nicolas Cage, Ciarán Hinds, Idris Elba
- UK release: 17 February 2012
Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider (Cage) is in hiding, only to be called upon by a kick-ass preacher (Elba) to stop the Devil (Hinds) from taking human form by sacrificing a child (Riordan). At times it's bizarrely entertaining, but the continued disregard for structure, restraint and intelligence quickly becomes tiring.
- 97 min
- Directed by: Sylvain White
- Cast: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana, Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Columbus Short, Óscar Jaenada, Jason Patric, Holt McCallany, Peter Macdissi
This comic book adaptation following a group of soldiers as they attempt to clear their names of a crime they didn't commit, is a loosely strung together collection of stylised set pieces that puts tongue-in-cheek revelry above hyper violence. Oddly appealing in spite of its flaws.
- 106 min
- Directed by: John Luessenhop
- Cast: Matt Dillon, Paul Walker, Idris Elba, Jay Hernandez, Michael Ealy, TI, Chris Brown, Hayden Christensen
Basic heist movie containing all the standard ingredients - frenetic action, a headache-inducing score, minimal characterisation and a napkin-sized plot. Five LA thieves conspire to take down an armoured car worth $25 million dollars. But with a cop on their tail, things probably won't go according to plan.
- 108 min
- Directed by: Steve Shill
- Written by: David Loughery
- Cast: Idris Elba, Beyoncé Knowles, Ali Larter
Shill's glossy but vacuous drama features 'Final Destination' star Larter unleashing her inner bunny boiler alter ego as Lisa, a delusional temp who takes an unwarranted fancy to hedge fund manager Derek (Elba), an office flirt and potentially errant husband of Sharon (Knowles). As slick, sick and empty as mainstream…
- 87 min
- Directed by: David S Goyer
- Written by: David S Goyer
- Cast: Odette Yustman, Gary Oldman, Meagan Good, Cam Gigandet, James Remar, Jane Alexander, Idris Elba, Michael Sassone
Played in various states of undress by skinny-malink Yustman, Casey Baldon believes that she's being haunted by a dybbuk, an evil spirit attempting to use her dead twin as a portal into our world. A by-the-numbers fright flick elevated by a resonant grounding in Jewish supernatural lore.
- 87 min
- Directed by: Nelson McCormick
- Written by: JS Cardone
- Cast: Brittany Snow, Scott Porter, Jessica Stroup, Dana Davis, Collins Pennie, Kelly Blatz, James Ransone, Brianne Davis, Johnathon Schaech, Idris Elba
A slasher movie without slashing, this 1980s remake is a bloodless, bland affair that stretches the credulity of even the most gullible: a beardy/weirdy killer who dematerialises at will, a police presence from the Keystone Kops line of citizen-protection, and endless recycling of ancient clichés.
- 114 min
- Directed by: Guy Ritchie
- Written by: Guy Ritchie
- Cast: Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Strong, Toby Kebbell, Tom Hardy, Idris Elba, Karel Roden, Thandie Newton
Ritchie's story is told with a signature narration and follows the pursuits of a bunch of get-rich-quick, bumbling, loveable rogues who could have walked straight off the set of an Ealing comedy. With trademark flashes of visual panache and humour, it's all perfectly serviceable, but still leaves us guessing over whether…
- 119 min
- Directed by: Preston A Whitmore II
- Written by: Preston A Whitmore II
- Cast: Delroy Lindo, Idris Elba, Loretta Devine, Chris Brown, Columbus Short, Regina King, Sharon Leal, Lauren London, Jessica Stroup, Keith Robinson
Family Christmas 'dramedy' that's actually better than you'd think. Featuring an all black cast, 'This Christmas' is centred around a family's first holiday season together in four years.
28 Weeks Later …
- 99 min
- Directed by: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
- Written by: Rowan Joffe, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, E L Lavigne, Jesus Olmo
- Cast: Robert Carlyle, Rose Byrne, Jeremy Renner, Harold Perrineau, Catherine McCormack, Mackintosh Muggleton, Imogen Poots, Idris Elba
Mainland Britain, decimated by a rage virus in Danny Boyle's 2003 sleeper hit '28 Days Later?', is being repopulated under the control of the US military (and a new director). Of course the quarantine is broken, by lily-livered Don (Carlyle), and zombie madness ensues. It's a pacy, dirty, bloody B-movie but surely no one…