What Everybody Knows
- 118 min
- Directed by: Ayreen Anastas, Rene Gabri
A documentary composed by Ayreen Anastas and Rene Gabri from footage gathered during a 16-day journey through Israel and Palestine. The film depicts the struggle for survival of people from all walks of life in these war-torn lands.
- 91 min
- Directed by: Woody Allen
- Written by: Woody Allen
- Cast: Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood, Henry Cavill, Patricia Clarkson, Ed Begley, Jr, Michael McKean
David plays a misanthropic nuclear physicist whose life is suddenly changed when a naïve runaway waif from the Deep South (Wood) turns up on his doorstep. Promising beginnings give way in the second half and this doesn't quite amount to the comedy delight that aficionados of Jewish humour may hanker after.
What's Your Raashee?
- 192 min
- Directed by: Ashutosh Gowarikar
- Cast: Harman Baweja, Priyanka Chopra
Yogesh (Baweja) has 10 days to find the girl of his dreams. Chopra plays the 12 hopefuls - each with a different Rashee (sun sign) - who he has to choose between.
Where the Wild Things Are
- 100 min
- Directed by: Spike Jonze
- Cast: Max Records, Lauren Ambrose, Chris Cooper, Paul Dano, James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker
Maurice Sendak's nine-sentence children's tale about a boy whose bedroom turns into a forest full of huge creatures gets the Spike Jonze ('Being John Malkovich') treatment. Any joy here comes from the brilliant production design of the creatures - Jonze opts to use puppetry over CGI and this gives the action an ethereal…
Whisky With Vodka
- 108 min
- Directed by: Andreas Dresen
- Cast: Henry Hübchen, Corinna Harfouch, Markus Hering
Woody Allen-flavoured movie-biz comedy delivers intoxicating stimulation for discerning palates. Fresh from domestic box-office smash Cloud 9, director Dresen delivers a spirited, delightfully old-school celebration of thespian eccentricity and the volatile chemistry of moviemaking. Built four-square around the…
The White Meadows
- Directed by: Mohammad Rasoulof
- Written by: Mohammad Rasoulof
- Cast: Hassan Pourshirazi, Mohammad Shirvani
The intriguing tale of Rahmat, whose job it is to go from island to island gathering tears, although nobody knows what he does with his collection.
The White Ribbon
- 143 min
- Directed by: Michael Haneke
- Written by: Michael Haneke
- Cast: Christian Friedel, Ulrich Tukur, Josef Bierbichler
Featuring the remarkable black and white cinematography of Christian Berger, Haneke's latest film expertly paints a withering portrait of life in a pre-World War German village that is dominated by feudalism and a particularly sadistic breed of religion. An outstanding, multilayered achievement, dripping with nastiness…
- 98 min
- Directed by: Francesca Comencini
- Cast: Margherita Buy, Antonia Truppo, Gaetano Bruno
A close character examination of a footloose teacher who falls pregnant during a short-lived affair and then gives birth to a premature baby.
The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights
- 92 min
- Directed by: Emmett Malloy
Documentary about the White Stripes' idiosyncratic 2007 tour in which they endeavoured to play in every province and territory in Canada.
- 100 min
- Directed by: Dominic Sena
- Cast: Kate Beckinsale, Gabriel Macht, Columbus Short, Tom Skerritt
An Antarctica-based US deputy marshal (Beckinsale) must investigate and wrap up the frozen continent's first murder within the three days remaining before the Antarctic winter begins. Based on Greg Rucka and Steve Leiber's comic book of the same name this is a big action thriller with a few clever twists and a dark heart.
Who Killed Nancy?
- 100 min
- Directed by: Alan G Parker
Thirty years after Nancy Spungen was found dead in the Chelsea Hotel, punk expert Alan G Parker reopens the case on her murder at the behest of Sid Vicious' mother.
Wide Open Spaces
- 85 min
- Directed by: Tom Hall
- Cast: Ardal O'Hanlon, Ewen Bremner, Owen Roe
Written by the co-creator of 'Father Ted', and following the same tradition of rural Celtic loopiness, this unstable comedy strands two misunderstood souls in the back of beyond with an absurd task on their hands. Dissipated semi-intellectual Myles (O'Hanlon) and excitable, none-too-bright Austin (Bremner) are enlisted by…
Wild Grass (Les Herbes Folles)
- 103 min
- Directed by: Alain Resnais
- Written by: Alex Reval, Laurent Herbiet
- Cast: Sabine Azéma, André Dussollier, Anne Consigny, Emmanuelle Devos
Adapted from Christian Gailly's novel 'The Incident', Wild Grass follows the burgeoning 'amour fou' between Georges (Dussollier) and Marguerite (Azema) after he recovers her stolen purse in a parking lot. The giddiness of the affair is reflected in the soaring camerawork, while the titular wild grass becomes a recurrent…
William McLaren - An Artist Out of Time
- 51 min
- Directed by: Jim Hickey
Documenting the life and work of Scottish artist William McLaren - from simple beginnings in the 1920s in a mining town to the creation of work for some of the finest private houses and public buildings in the UK. This screening will be followed by Jim Hickey's short film 'And So Goodbye'.
The Wind Journeys
- 117 min
- Directed by: Ciro Guerra
- Cast: Marciano Martínez, Yull Núñez, Agustin Nieves
Story of a long journey a musician takes to return his accordion to his teacher.
A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop
- Directed by: Yimou Zhang
Remake of the Coen Brother's first release Blood Simple, this is the tale of a woman suffering at the hands of her ungrateful husband who, along with her lover, decides to do something about it.
The Woman with the 5 Elephants
- 93 min
- Directed by: Vadim Jendreyko
- Written by: Vadim Jendreyko
Russian-to-German translator Svetlana Geier recounts the German occupation in Kiev and speaks on language, literature and life.
A Woman's Way (Strella)
- 111 min
- Directed by: Panos H Koutras
- Written by: Panos H Koutras, Panayiotis Evangelidis
- Cast: Mina Orfanou, Yiannis Kokiasmenos, Minos Theoharis, Betty Vakalidou, Akis Ioannou
Just released from prison, Yiorgos, who looks like a tough nut but dreams of squirrels, is searching for his long lost son. He meets Strella, a big-hearted trans prostitute who sings like Maria Callas in cabaret bars.
Women Without Men
- 100 min
- Directed by: Shirin Neshat
- Cast: Navid Akhavan, Mina Azarian, Essa Zahir
The first feature from visual artist Shirin Neshat is based on a magical realist novel by Shahrnush Parsipur. Telling the stories of four resilient women living in Tehran during the 1953 Iranian coup, this is a painstakingly constructed and insightful social and political commentary on the Iran of today as much as it is…
World's Greatest Dad
- 98 min
- Directed by: Bobcat Goldthwait
- Written by: Bobcat Goldthwait
- Cast: Robin Williams, Daryl Sabara, Alexie Gilmore, Evan Martin, Lorraine Nicholson, Henry Simmons, Geoff Pierson
Dark, daring and thought provoking comedy about a lonely high school poetry teacher who gets a chance of living his dreams if he can live with a certain amount of guilt. Williams turns in a nuanced performance while Bobcat Sleeping Dogs Goldthwait writes and directs with the usual misanthropy and sarcasm. Definitely worth…
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
- 97 min
- Directed by: Gavin Hood
- Written by: David Benioff, Skip Woods
- Cast: Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber, Lynn Collins, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, Ryan Reynolds
Proficiently directed by Hood, this explores a politically-correct back-story for Jackman's mutant Wolverine, who sports a concealed exo-skeleton which provides him with not only a formidable physique, but also a pair of retractable and highly lethal metal claws. Despite its unwieldy title, 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine…
- 114 min
- Directed by: Cheng Yu-Chieh
- Cast: Sandrine Pinna, Bryant Chang, Huang Chien-Wei
With a French father, Taiwanese adolescent Yang Yang (Pinna) struggles to find acceptance amongst her family and friends. Abandoning her remarried mother, Yang Yang must find her way in the superficial world of commercials.
- Directed by: David R Brooks
- Cast: Brian Wimmer, Bart Johnson, Don Most
A washed-up ex-major league baseball player gets his second chance managing a Jewish Orthodox baseball team.
- 119 min
- Directed by: Takashi Miike
- Cast: Shō Sakurai, Saki Fukuda, Kyoko Fukada, Kendo Kobayashi, Katsuhisa Namase, Anri Okamoto
Live-action anime adaptation about genius prima donna Doronjo, played by Kyoko Fukada from 'Kamikaze Girls'.