High Lane, Merantau and Yatterman among highlights of Edinburgh FAB Fest
In the wake of Edinburgh’s much-loved horror festival Dead By Dawn taking a one year break comes this three day festival of horror and fantasy. There’s plenty to enjoy for single film or weekend pass buyers. Feted French survivalist horror High Lane kicks things off, while there are also UK premieres of Indonesian actioner Merantau and nightmarish Canadian horror The End. Takashi Miike’s bizarre live action anime adaptation Yatterman also makes an appearance, as does a new restoration of Lucio Fulci’s 1980 City of the Living Dead and the original cut of Grindhouse. Book now.
Filmhouse, Edinburgh from Fri 30 Apr-Sun 2 May.
- 191 min
- Directed by: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, Rob Zombie, Edgar Wright, Eli Roth, Jason Eisener
- Written by: Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino
- Cast: Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Kurt Russell, Rosario Dawson, Vanessa Ferlito, Naveen Andrews, Bruce Willis
Tarantino and Rodriguez's salute to the 1970s exploitation movie focuses on an ex-stripper with a grenade launcher-equipped machine gun leg, who meets and greets a troop of flesh eating mutating zombies. Taking a step down in tone, Tarantino's Death Proof traces two groups of women tied together only by the presence of a…
City of the Living Dead
- 93 min
- Directed by: Lucio Fulci
- Written by: Lucio Fulci, Dardano Sacchetti
- Cast: Christopher George, Catriona MacColl, Carlo De Mejo, Antonella Interlenghi, Giovanni Lombardo Radice, Daniela Doria, Fabrizio Jovine, Luca Venantini, Michele Soavi
Surreal and sublime zombie antics from Fulci, loosely based on the nightmare visions of HP Lovecraft.
- Directed by: Abel Ferry
- Cast: Fanny Valette, Johan Libereau, Raphael Lenglet
French survivalist horror film about a group of adventurous friends who head into the wilderness only to encounter a homicidal mountain man.
- Directed by: Gareth Evans
- Written by: Gareth Evans
- Cast: Iko Uwais, Sisca Jessica, Christine Hakim, Donny Alamsyah, Yusuf Aulia, Laurent Buson, Alex Abbad, Mads Koudal, Ratna Galih, Yayan Ruhian
Action thriller starring Iko Uwais, a dab hand in the Indonesian martial art of Silat.
- 108 min
- Directed by: Jeremy Thomas
- Cast: Jeremy Thomas, Ella May, Katie Webber
Horror from new Canadian talent centring upon the shocking premonitions of psychic Joseph Rickman (Thomas) and detective Clara Wilkie's struggles to catch a neighbourhood culprit.
- 119 min
- Directed by: Takashi Miike
- Cast: Shō Sakurai, Saki Fukuda, Kyoko Fukada, Kendo Kobayashi, Katsuhisa Namase, Anri Okamoto
Live-action anime adaptation about genius prima donna Doronjo, played by Kyoko Fukada from 'Kamikaze Girls'.