Filmhouse Steve McQueen screens selection of actor's finest films
Papillon, Love with the Proper Stranger and Bullit among highlights
Steve McQueen in Bullit
Arguably the coolest American screen actor of the last 50 years, McQueen gets his six of the best to help us make it through another damp August. Highlights include brutal prison drama Papillon, Love with the Proper Stranger – actor/director Robert Mulligan’s misguided but interesting attempt to make an American kitchen sink set in the early 1960’s underground jazz scene – and, of course, Bullitt. Ticket deals available.
Filmhouse, Edinburgh from Sat 14 Aug-Thu 2 Sep.
- Directed by: Franklin J Schaffner
- Written by: Henri Charrière, Dalton Trumbo
- Cast: Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman
Brutal prison-set drama based on bestselling novel.
Love with the Proper Stranger
- 100 min
- Directed by: Robert Mulligan
- Written by: Arnold Schulman
- Cast: Natalie Wood, Steve McQueen, Edie Adams, Herschel Bernardi, Harvey Lembeck, Tom Bosley
Macy's shop assistant Angie (Wood) discovers that she's pregnant from a fling with musician Rocky (McQueen) and tracks him down to help her pay for an abortion - but once they meet again things don't seem quite so certain.