Also Released - Film
- Paul Dale
- 20 September 2007
• The Sound of Music (U) 174min ••• This restored print re-release of the popular sugar-coated family musical is a must for fans but hardly essential viewing for everyone else. Selected release from Wed 26 Sep.
• Across the Universe (15) 133min •••• Fascinatingly off-beat original movie musical from renowned director Julie Taymor (Frida, Titus and the Broadway smash hit musical The Lion King) and writers Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais (The Commitments, Still Crazy). This love story set against the backdrop of the 1960s anti-war protest moves from the dockyards of Liverpool to the psychedelic enclave of Greenwich Village and beyond as star-crossed lovers Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) immerse themselves in the counter-cultural revolution. Definitely worth a look. General release from Fri 28 Sep.
• The Singer (12A) 113min •••• French Lost in Translation-style age-gap romantic drama starring Gerard Depardieu. GFT, Glasgow, and Filmhouse, Edinburgh, from Fri 28 Sep.
• Mr Woodcock (12A) 90min •• Mildly amusing comedy about self-help book writer John (Seann William Scott) who discovers that his mother (Susan Sarandon) has fallen in love with his old high school PE teacher Mr Woodcock (Billy Bob Thornton), a teacher so hateful that he is the source of John’s many subsequent mental issues. Thornton may now want to start talking to his agent about typecasting. General release from Fri 28 Sep.
• Michael Clayton (15) 119min •••• Inspired law firm-based conspiracy thriller. General release from Fri 28 Sep.