- 1h 49min
- Directed by: Charles Walters
- Written by: Sidney Sheldon, Frances Goodrich, Albert Hackett
- Cast: Judy Garland, Fred Astaire
Astaire, true to type, plays a song-and-dance man on the look out for a new partner. Enter Garland stage left, and the result is an enjoyable if lightweight musical that brings together Hollywood's top genre stars for the first and only time. A film that lives for its Irving Berlin numbers.
Sun 21 Apr
- Turkey / Republic of Macedonia / France / Germany / Bosnia and Herzgovina / Bulgaria / Sweden
- Directed by: Nuri Bilge Ceylan
- Cast: Dogu Demirkol, Murat Cemcir, Hazar Ergüçlü
Sinan (Demirkol), recently graduated from college, returns to his home village and an uncertain future. Elegiac and somewhat meandering tale of a prodigal son and an errant father, beautifully filmed and impeccably acted, confirming its director’s status as a modern-day Chekhov.
Thu 25 Apr
- Directed by: Paul Dano
- Cast: Ed Oxenbould, Carey Mulligan, Jake Gyllenhaal
In Montana in 1960, Joe (Oxenbould) watches his parents’ marriage dissolve after they run into money troubles. Dano’s debut as a director is an impressive adaptation (co-written with Zoe Kazan) of Richard Ford’s novel, with a fiery and mesmerising performance from Mulligan as a woman on the edge. Haunting and elegantly done.
Fri 19 Apr
Sat 20 Apr
An independent digital cinema with a mixed programme taking in contemporary, classic, art house and world cinema. Set up in 2002 and run not-for-profit, the Electric Palace is staffed by film-loving volunteers who also run an annual film festival, Shot by the Sea.
Tell us more about this venue.