- 2h 19min
- Directed by: Martin Scorsese
- Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, Winona Ryder
Scorcese's interpretation of Edith Wharton's best-seller about 19th century New York high society.
Tue 23 Jul
- 3h 42min
- Directed by: David Lean
- Cast: Peter O'Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Omar Sharif
Lean's mammoth desert epic, restored to its director's original cut and the big screen, where filmmaking on this scale belongs. O'Toole's debut as the enigmatic adventurer still impresses, but apart from the majestic action sequences, it's the disturbing sense of clinical and cold-blooded violence hanging over the highly literate characterisation that today seems especially striking.
Sat 20 Jul
Mon 29 Jul
- 1h 21min
- Directed by: Ingmar Bergman
- Written by: Ingmar Bergman
- Cast: Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann
'Persona' explores the relationship between two women, an actress (Ullmann) suffering a breakdown and the nurse (Andersson) who oversees her recuperation in a country cottage. The actress, who dried up in the middle of a performance, doesn't speak, while the nurse talks at length to her mute patient about various petty matters, but despite initial distance their relationship develops into a symbiotic one. All of this allows the Swedish auteur to muse over his favourite themes: people's communication problems and the egocentric nature of art. Not an easy film - even by Bergman's standards - but an extremely rewarding one.
Sun 21 Jul
- 1h 40min
- Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
- Written by: Quentin Tarantino
- Cast: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Tierney, Michael Madsen
A gang of hoods, known only to each other by colour-coded nicknames, meets at an abandoned warehouse to figure how out their rigorously planned heist went so drastically wrong. The best debut in years from writer-director Tarantino, whose stylish violence seduces the audience into complicity. Brilliant in every sense of the word.
Fri 26 Jul
Sat 27 Jul
Sun 28 Jul
Mon 29 Jul
Tue 30 Jul
Wed 31 Jul
Thu 1 Aug
- 3h 13min
- Directed by: Philip Kaufman
- Written by: Philip Kaufman
- Cast: Fred Ward, Dennis Quaid, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Sam Shepard, Barbara Hershey, Lance Henriksen, Veronica Cartwright, Jane Dornacker, Harry Shearer, Jeff Goldblum
Tom Wolfe's book about the early days of space flight treats the first test pilots-cum-astronauts as modern day cowboys crossing a new frontier. The myriad plot-lines are well dove-tailed and the flying scenes are memorably impressive, but for all the film's expansiveness its abrupt swings of mood let it down.
Sat 20 Jul
A lovingly curated programme of classic films, double bills and special events.
Tell us more about this venue.