- 1h 31min
- Directed by: Bryan Singer
- Cast: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Aidan Gillen, Tom Hollander, Allen Leech, Mike Myers
The Freddie Mercury story. Malek as Mercury does a great job, with a passionate and impressive performance, but despite the recreation of momentous performances it’s a disappointingly tame affair, with a by-the-numbers screenplay and a bland lack of insight into Mercury’s heritage or sexuality.
Sun 7 Apr
- 1h 45min
- Directed by: Michael Gracey
- Cast: Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya
A musical version of the life of showman and genius of hype PT Barnum (Jackman), and how he went from running a museum of ‘curiosities’ to promoting Swedish soprano Jenny Lind (Ferguson). Jackman has rock-star charisma and Gracey delivers a kaleidoscopic, family-friendly spectacle.
Sun 31 Mar
- 1h 49min
- Directed by: Ken Loach
- Cast: David Bradley, Freddie Fletcher, Lynne Perrie, Colin Welland, Brian Glover, George Speed
In the run-down industrial north, a young boy learns some harsh lessons about life from the fate of his pet bird. Classic piece of British realism which showed that Loach's television work could transfer to the big screen. A very humane sense of humour leavens a tale of some desolation.
Sun 24 Mar
- 2h 4min
- Directed by: Josie Rourke
- Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Jack Lowden, David Tennant, Martin Compston, Joe Alwyn, Brendan Coyle, Guy Pearce
Mary Stuart (Ronan) and Elizabeth (Robbie) would like to be sisters but political rivalry drives them apart. Ronan gives a sophisticated performance and Robbie as Elizabeth is a blend of nervous uncertainty and confident outrage. Over the top, perhaps, but its ridiculousness hits a raw nerve in the current political climate, where women politicians are attacked for dancing.
Sun 24 Mar
Mon 25 Mar
Aside from the latest releases, the cinema is also home to the Compton Paramount Theatre Organ, including regular organ performances, teamed with classic films.
Tell us more about this venue.