- 1h 31min
- Directed by: Bryan Singer
- Cast: Rami Malek, Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Aidan Gillen, Tom Hollander, Allen Leech, Mike Myers
The Freddie Mercury story. Malek as Mercury does a great job, with a passionate and impressive performance, but despite the recreation of momentous performances it’s a disappointingly tame affair, with a by-the-numbers screenplay and a bland lack of insight into Mercury’s heritage or sexuality.
Sun 17 Feb
- 1h 45min
- Directed by: Michael Gracey
- Cast: Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya
A musical version of the life of showman and genius of hype PT Barnum (Jackman), and how he went from running a museum of ‘curiosities’ to promoting Swedish soprano Jenny Lind (Ferguson). Jackman has rock-star charisma and Gracey delivers a kaleidoscopic, family-friendly spectacle.
Fri 15 Feb
- 2h 10min
- Directed by: Rob Marshall
- Cast: Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury, Colin Firth, Meryl Streep
Michael Banks (Whishaw) is facing ruin after the death of his wife, and his sister Jane (Mortimer) can’t help—but then Mary Poppins (Blunt) sails down from the sky. Blunt is suitably brusque and radiant and a fine songstress, and while it’s a sliver of a story it’s impressively imaginative and unashamedly, triumphantly nostalgic.
Sat 16 Feb
Tell us more about this venue.