York Student CinemaAdd to favourites
- 117 min
- Directed by: Steven Spielberg
- Written by: Roald Dahl (novel), Melissa Mathison (screenplay)
- Cast: Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Bill Hader, Rebecca Hall
Eight year old Sophie (Barnhill) looks out her window one evening to discover something terrifying – the Big Friendly Giant (Rylance), who unlike his giant brothers doesn't actually want to eat her. Magical, funny and surprising stuff from Spielberg, lacking only some of the menace of Dahl's original, but genuinely heartwarming.
Fri 28 Oct
- 111 min
- Directed by: Jeff Nichols
- Written by: Jeff Nichols
- Cast: Adam Driver, Kirsten Dunst, Joel Edgerton
A father goes on the run with his son after he discovers his boy has mysterious powers in this film, which harks back to the grounded 1980s sci-fi of Steven Spielberg and John Carpenter. It's filled with beautiful shots of the Texan dusk, and Shannon is compelling in his role as father Roy. The revelation of what's really going on, though, is lamely conceived and cheaply mounted, and it's hard not to feel cheated.
Thu 3 Nov
- 100 min
- Directed by: Jim Sharman
- Written by: Richard O'Brien, Jim Sharman
- Cast: Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Nell Campbell, Jonathan Adams, Peter Hinwood, Meat Loaf, Charles Gray
The cult film to end all others, this rock spoof on old horror movies has created a breed of Rocky Horror crazies, and packs them in at late shows everywhere. The film has its moments, and Curry is splendidly camp as the bisexual Frank N Furter.
Mon 31 Oct
Tell us more about this venue.