Shenfield Operatic Society presents
This American classic features some of Rodgers and Hammerstein's most iconic pieces, including If I Loved You, Mister Snow, June is Bustin' Out All Over and the iconic You'll Never Walk Alone. Carousel was Rodgers and Hammerstein's second collaboration and was adapted from Ferenc Molnar's 1909 play Liliom. They transferred the Budapest setting of Liliom to the New England coastline, where Carousel takes place.
The story tells of roguish carnival barker Billy Bigelow and mill worker Julie Jordan, both loners, who meet and fall in love. Their marriage ends up costing them both their jobs, and things go downhill from there.
Billy's desperation makes him violent against those he loves most and drives him to commit crimes in order to provide for his family. When Billy falls in with conman Jigger Craigin, he ends up getting caught in the midst of an armed robbery and takes his own life. Billy is allowed to return to earth for one day fifteen years later, and he encounters the daughter he never knew. Louise is a lonely, friendless teenager, her father's reputation having haunted her throughout her young life. Yet Billy is able to instil in both the child and her mother a sense of hope.
Voted the best musical of the 20th century by Time magazine, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel is the classic American musical, spanning heaven and earth in its exploration of human frailty, resilience, and the power of forgiveness.
There are gunshot/gunshot effects during this event
Adult content - there are aspects of this event which may be unsuitable for all ages and therefore parental guidance is advised
Tue 25 Jan
Wed 26 Jan
Thu 27 Jan
Fri 28 Jan
Sat 29 Jan
Early Doors Productions presents
Clue: On Stage
Its not a game anymore!
- Six strangers arrive by ominous invitation at a secluded mansion greeted by Wadsworth the butler. Each guest receives a pseudonym: Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, Mr. Green, Professor Plum, and Miss Scarlet. They each have a motive and a weapon - a candlestick, a knife, a lead pipe, a revolver a rope and a wrenchwhy are they there? Who is blackmailing them? And who killed Mr Boddy, with what and where?! Clue is the ultimate whodunnit based on the popular Hasbro board game of the same name, and the 1985 American black comedy film Directed by Jonathan Lynn and starring Tim Curry. A riot of fun - don't miss it!
Please note this performance is ONE ACT of 80mins
Thu 10 Mar
Fri 11 Mar
Sat 12 Mar
- 2h 35min
- Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
- Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Zendaya, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen
The director of Blade Runner 2049 takes a crack at Frank Herbert's notoriously unfilmable sci-fi epic. The story is to be split across two films.
Fri 25 Feb
Mon 7 Mar
- 2h 4min
- Directed by: Jason Reitman
- Cast: Mckenna Grace, Finn Wolfhard, Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Celeste O'Connor, Logan Kim
Another instalment for the ever popular Ghostbusters franchise. This is a sequel to the first two films and is directed by Jason Reitman, son of their director, Ivan Reitman.
Sun 10 Apr
- UK / US
- 2h 32min
- Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Cast: Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer, Ben Affleck
The Last Duel is a cinematic and thought-provoking drama set in the midst of the Hundred Years War that explores the ubiquitous power of men, the frailty of justice and the strength and courage of one woman willing to stand alone in the service of truth.
Based on actual events, the film unravels long-held assumptions about France’s last sanctioned duel between Jean de Carrouges and Jacques Le Gris, two friends turned bitter rivals. Carrouges is a respected knight known for his bravery and skill on the battlefield.
Le Gris is a Norman squire whose intelligence and eloquence make him one of the most admired nobles in court. When Carrouges’ wife, Marguerite, is viciously assaulted by Le Gris, a charge he denies, she refuses to stay silent, stepping forward to accuse her attacker, an act of bravery and defiance that puts her life in jeopardy. The ensuing trial by combat, a grueling duel to the death, places the fate of all three in God’s hands.
Sat 9 Apr
- 1h 56min
- Directed by: Edgar Wright
- Cast: Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, Thomasin McKenzie, Diana Rigg, Terence Stamp, Rita Tushingham
A psychological horror thriller from director Edgar Wright.
Sun 20 Mar
Live Wrestling in Brentwood
The superstars of WrestleForce come to the Brentwood Theatre for an incredible evening of professional wrestling action that the whole family can enjoy!
In a rematch from the tremendous encounter in Harlow: Smashing Mike and James Toner take on the colourful duo of Oli Peace and Brad 'O Brien in tag team action!
Unbreakable: Mark Trew goes one on one with Kieron Lacey. The former best friends had a great 2021, including a tag team championships reign, but recently there's been friction between them. Will this bout help them settle their differences, or is it the end of the TWA tag team?
Also in action:
The WrestleForce Undisputed Champion: Voodoo
The supreme athlete: James Pharrell with his apprentice: Danny Haines
True Grit: Connor Mills
The Shah: Jordan Saeed
The running time for this event is approximately 2 hours.
Sat 5 Feb
Billericay Operatic Society
Made In Dagenham
Essex 1968. Like millions of other working women, each morning Rita O'Grady is just trying to get her husband out of bed, get the kids off to school and get to work at the factory on time. But life is about to change forever when it's announced that the girls in the stitching room of Ford's Dagenham car plant will have their pay grade dropped to 'unskilled'. Quickly drawing on a strength she never knew she had, Rita leads her friends in a battle against the might of Ford and the corruption of the Union supposed to protect them. As the girls' inspiring journey gets bigger than anyone could have imagined, the pressure is too much for some, but can Rita keep up the fight and the happy home she's worked so hard for?
Funny, touching and timeless, Made in Dagenham shows how ordinary people can do extraordinary things when they stand together.
Tuesday and Saturday Matinee all seats £18
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday Evening all seats £19
Evening performances start at 7.30pm
Matinee performance starts at 2.30pm
MADE IN DAGENHAM
Book by Richard Bean Music by David Arnold Lyrics by Richard Thomas
Based on the Woolley/Karlsen/Number 9 Motion Picture
This amateur production is presented by arrangement with Music Theatre International (Europe)
All authorised performance materials are also supplied by MTI Europe
Tue 29 Mar
Wed 30 Mar
Thu 31 Mar
Fri 1 Apr
Sat 2 Apr
- 2h 43min
- Directed by: Cary Joji Fukunaga
- Cast: Daniel Craig, Rami Malek, Lea Seydoux, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Ben Whishaw, Rory Kinnear, Jeffrey Wright, Ana de Armas, Dali Benssalah, David Dencik, Lashana Lynch, Billy Magnussen
The 25th James Bond film is directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga and sees Daniel Craig in the lead for one last time.
Fri 4 Feb
Mon 7 Feb
- 2h 25min
- Directed by: Liesl Tommy
- Written by: Callie Khouri, Tracey Scott Wilson
- Cast: Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, Marlon Wayans, Audra McDonald, Marc Maron, Tituss Burgess, Mary J. Blige
Aretha Franklin biopic.
Thu 24 Mar
Join Brentwood Theatre and Newton Park for unique, fun and friendly Song and Rhyme Time sessions mixing conventional nursery rhymes, modern songs and also some Disney classics on guitar and ukelele. The sessions will be led by local musician Graham Newton, who under the pen name of Newton Park writes and illustrates his own children's books.
10am | £4 per child - includes a free tea/coffee for accompanying adult (recommended for children under 5, babes in arms go free*)
*Suggested donation of £1 on the door if you're not buying a ticket for another child
Mon 31 Jan
Mon 14 Feb
Mon 28 Feb
Mon 14 Mar
Mon 28 Mar
Mon 11 Apr
- 1h 42min
- Directed by: Gene Kelly, Stanley Donen
- Written by: Betty Comden, Adolph Green
- Cast: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen, Millard Mitchell
Hollywood undergoes the transition from the silent era to the talkies and reputations rise and fall. Absolutely wonderful musical entertainment, with the slickest of snappy dialogue, enduringly catchy numbers, a cast of genuine charisma, and an engaging picture of the industry in transition into the bargain. Quite splendid.
Mon 4 Apr
- 1h 35min
- Directed by: Rob Reiner
- Written by: Nora Ephron
- Cast: Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher, Bruno Kirby
Angsty wise guy Harry (Crystal) and neurotic kook Sally (Ryan) become friends, and their friendship lasts for years until one fateful New Year's Eve. A blueprint for the modern romantic comedy, thanks to Ephron's intelligent, savvy script, brilliant performance from the leads and Reiner's relaxed approach.
Mon 14 Feb
Tell us more about this venue.