- Senegal/France/Burkina Faso/Cameroon/Morocco/Tunisia
- 2h 4min
- Directed by: Ousmane Sembène
- Written by: Ousmane Sembène
- Cast: Fatoumata Coulibaly
- Language: French / Bambara
Four young girls turn up in a small Muslim village in Burkina Faso after fleeing from their circumcision ceremony. They seek refuge at the house of Colle (Coulibaly), who, several years earlier, refused to allow her own teenage daughter to undergo the practice. Colle grants them protection but her decision incenses the community's male elders, who believe that a woman must be 'purified' before marriage. Excellent, insightful and, believe it or not, funny social drama from that old Marxist master filmmaker Sembene.
This film is not currently showing in cinemas.
Tell us more about this listing.