Damsels in Distress
- 1h 39min
- Directed by: Whit Stillman
- Written by: Whit Stillman
- Cast: Greta Gerwig, Adam Brody, Analeigh Tipton
- UK release: 27 April 2012
- Website: www.sonyclassics.com/damselsindistress/
The titular damsels are a group of female undergrads led by the obsessive-compulsive Violet (Gerwig, good) who set about rescuing their fellow students from perceived ills. It's good to have director Stillman back after 14 years, even if the pointed wit has been replaced by studied silliness.
This film is not currently showing in cinemas.
Reviews & features
Interview: Whit Stillman on Damsels in Distress30 Apr 2012
One-time darling of 90s indie cinema returns after 13-year hiatus.
American indie filmmaker Whit Stillman was nominated for an Oscar for the script to his first film, 1990’s Metropolitan. He followed that with Barcelona and The Last Days of Disco, which cemented his reputation as an idiosyncratic talent. Then he didn’t…
Apocalypse archives: Whit Stillman17 Apr 2012
The Damsels in Distress director picks five films he’d save in an impending apocalypse
That Sinking Feeling (Bill Forsyth, 1980) ‘I wanted to include something Scottish. Aside from how enjoyable Bill Forsyth’s film about kids in rainy Glasgow is, I want to include it for its economy of means. To see how much was done with so little was…
Damsels in Distress17 Apr 2012
Whit Stillman's return to filmmaking features wordy, droll dialogue but often inept direction
(15) 99min Following a 14-year break from filmmaking, American writer-director Whit Stillman returns to the big screen with another highly idiosyncratic comedy, one that audiences are likely to find either delightfully urbane or else utterly…
Tell us more about this listing.