Films: Mervyn Johns
- Filter by:
- Mervyn Johns
The Day of the Triffids
- 1h 33min
- Directed by: Steve Sekely
- Cast: Howard Keel, Nicole Maurey, Janette Scott, Kieron Moore, Mervyn Johns
After a meteor shower leaves everyone who witnesses it blind, one man (who handily had his eyes bandaged in hospital) has to battled against the outcome – flesh-eating triffids.
Valley of Song
- 1h 20min
- Directed by: Gilbert Gunn
- Cast: Mervyn Johns, Clifford Evans, Maureen Swanson
Rivalries flare up when the lead position opens up in a rural Welsh male choir.
- UK / US
- 1h 26min
- Directed by: Brian Desmond Hurst
- Written by: Noel Langley
- Cast: Alastair Sim, Mervyn Johns, Hermione Baddeley, Michael Dolan
- UK release: 31 October 1951
One of the best screen adaptations of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. The story concerns the overly prudent businessman Ebeneezer Scrooge (Sim), who becomes a saint overnight. Dickens was never afraid to tackle the big issues: the threat to children's lives, whether they are privileged or poverty-stricken, is one of…
- 1h 24min
- Directed by: Ralph Thomas
- Cast: Carol Marsh, David Tomlinson, Mervyn Johns
A radio DJ goes on a mission to rid his romantic interest of her hiccups.
Dead of Night
- 1h 43min
- Directed by: Alberto Cavalcanti/Charles Crichton/Basil Dearden
- Cast: Mervyn Johns, Michael Redgrave, Roland Culver
An architect senses impending doom as his half-remembered recurring dream turns into reality. His fellow guests encourage him to stay as they take turns telling supernatural tales.
The Halfway House
- 1h 35min
- Directed by: Basil Dearden
- Written by: Angus MacPhail, Diana Morgan
- Cast: Tom Walls, Mervyn Johns, Glynis Johns, Françoise Rosay
Ealing Studios fantasy drama in which a group of trouble-stricken people arrive at a remote country inn and are told they have a year off from real life in which to resolve their difficulties.
The Next of Kin
- 1h 42min
- Directed by: Thorold Dickinson
- Cast: Mervyn Johns, John Chandos, Nova Pilbeam
A gossiping mother is overheard discussing what her son is doing in the war by a Nazi spy.
Went The Day Well?
- 1h 32min
- Directed by: Alberto Cavalcanti
- Written by: Graham Greene (story), John Dighton, Angus MacPhail, Diana Morgan
- Cast: Leslie Banks, Mervyn Johns, Basil Sydney, CV France, Valerie Taylor, Thora Hird, David Farrar
The original intention might have been to make a propaganda thriller to warn the British public about German infiltrators, but superior filmmaking qualities mean that Went the Day Well? has stood the test of time. A German paratroop regiment invade a remote UK village, but the locals fight back with uncompromising…