Search for: "ice age"
- 1h 21min
- Directed by: Chris Wedge, Carlos Saldanha
- Cast: Voices of John Leguizamo, Goran Visnjic, Jack Black
There's a faint air of cynicism in this story of a morose mammoth, a bumbling sloth and a wily tiger who join forces, despite all their better instincts, to return a human baby to his father. As the planet gets colder, they head in the opposite direction of the animal migration, to battle snowdrifts, volcanoes, ice caves…
Ice Age: Collision Course
- 1h 40min
- Directed by: Mike Thurmeier, Galen T. Chu
- Cast: Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Simon Pegg, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah
- UK release: 15 July 2016
Same story as always: global catastrophe threatens Sid, Manny and Diego and they have to get to safety. It manages to be relatively fresh, thanks to the increased amount of time given to accident-prone Scrat and his Tex Avery-ish antics in defence of his giant acorn; surely the lovable rodent has earned his own franchise.
Titans of the Ice Age
- Directed by: David Clark
- Written by: David Clark, Andy Wood
- Cast: Voice of Christopher Plummer
Go back in time to when North America was an icy, icy tundra and pachyderms were incredibly fuzzy.
Ice Age: Continental Drift
- 1h 32min
- Directed by: Steve Martino, Mike Thurmeier
- Written by: Michael Berg, Jason Fuchs
- Cast: Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah
- UK release: 13 July 2012
Still struggling to avoid extinction, Ice Age buddies Sid, Manny and Diego encounter teenage mammoths desperate for independence, shifting continental plates and a gang of unusual pirates in the fourth instalment from the franchise. Polished animation but with an unoriginal script and banal characterisation.
Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas
- Directed by: Karen Disher
- Cast: Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Chris Wedge, Queen Latifah, Seann William Scott, Josh Peck, Ciara Bravo, Billy Gardell, T. J. Miller, Judah Friedlander
A made-for-TV seasonal special from the Ice Age franchise.
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- 1h 33min
- Directed by: Carlos Saldanha, Michael Thurmeier
- Written by: Michael Berg, Peter Ackerman, Mike Reiss, Yoni Brenner
- Cast: Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Queen Latifah
Life is changing for Scrat, Manny, Ellie and co in many different ways in this the latest installment of popular animated series.
Ice Age: The Meltdown
- 1h 30min
- Directed by: Carlos Saldanha
- Written by: Peter Gaulke, Gerry Swallow
- Cast: Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, Seann William Scott, Queen Latifah
Enjoyable follow-up to the Canadian 2002 animated feature. Larry Sanders and Simpsons scribe Jon Vitti picks up the writing reins with aplomb as Manfred, Sid and Diego face their biggest challenge to date – the end of the Ice Age.
Ice Age: Continental Drift12 Jul 2012
The fourth in the animated series offers few new pleasures
The animated series that began a decade ago continues with a fourth instalment that plays to the strengths of the popular series but offers little that is either original or new. At this rate these films will be extinct sooner rather than later, as even…
Ice Age: Collision Course11 Jul 2016
The gang return for a fifth instalment of animated antics, with squirrel Scrat stealing the show
The fifth and possibly final entry in the Ice Age franchise from Blue Sky Studios, Ice Age: Collision Course follows exactly the same storyline as its series predecessors: a global catastrophe threatens Sid, Manny and Diego, and they quickly embark on a…
The Ice King19 Feb 2018
Touching and triumphant documentary celebrating British ice skating legend John Curry
Director James Erskine is best known for his riveting 2013 Billie Jean King documentary The Battle of the Sexes (later retold as the Emma Stone / Steve Carell drama); his latest is a powerful portrait of champion ice skater John Curry. Encompassing…
- 1h 36min
- Directed by: Albert Hughes
- Cast: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Natassia Malthe, Leonor Varela
- UK release: 24 August 2018
An epic adventure set in the last Ice Age. Europe, 20,000 years ago. While on his first hunt with his tribes most elite group, a young man is injured and left for dead. Awakening to find himself broken and alone – he must learn to survive and navigate the harsh and unforgiving wilderness. Reluctantly taming a lone wolf…
- 1h 42min
- Directed by: Chris Wedge
- Cast: Voices of Amanda Seyfried, Josh Hutcherson, Beyoncé Knowles
- UK release: 22 May 2013
From the director of Ice Age comes this story of a teenage girl who is sucked from the earthly realm into a fantastical woodland, where she finds the forces of good and evil at battle. Mary Katherine (Seyfried) joins the fray – on the side of good, one suspects – in order to help save this magical world – and ours.
- Directed by: Chris Wedge
From the director of Ice Age comes this adaptation of William Joyce's children's book. An army of bugs summon the mysterious Leaf Men to help protect their garden from the evil spider queen.
- Canada / US
- 1h 36min
- Directed by: Carlos Saldanha
- Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, william, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro, Jake T Austin
The team behind Ice Age heats things up in more tropical climes, as a domesticated macaw from small-town America goes on a Brazilian adventure.
Horton Hears A Who!
- 1h 26min
- Directed by: Jimmy Hayward, Steve Martino
- Written by: Cinco Paul, Ken Daurio, Keenan Donahue, Mike Reiss [uncredited]
- Cast: Jim Carrey, Steve Carell, Carol Burnett, Seth Rogen, Jesse McCartney, Will Arnett, Dan Fogler, Isla Fisher, Amy Poehler, Selena Gomez, Jaime Pressly
Animators Blue Sky take a break from their ongoing Ice Age franchise to colourfully realise the universe of Dr Seuss' text. Both Carrey and Carrell are allowed full rein for their brand of vocal mugging as co-directors Hayward and Martino skilfully guide Horton towards a comforting moral about size not being all that…
- 1h 31min
- Directed by: Chris Wedge
- Cast: Ewan McGregor, Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear, Mel Brooks, Drew Carey, Amanda Bynes, Robin Williams
New animated adventure from the makers of 'Ice Age'. Rodney Copperbottom (McGregor) is a working class robot whose dreams of becoming an inventor are dashed when he discovers that Bigwelt, the largest corporation in the city, has been overtaken by Ratchet (Kinnear), a ruthless capitalist who makes Rupert Murdoch look like…
The Day After Tomorrow
- 2h 4min
- Directed by: Roland Emmerich
- Written by: Roland Emmerich, Jeffrey Nachmanoff
- Cast: Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhaal, Emmy Rossum, Ian Holm, Sela Ward
Climatologist Jack Hall (Quaid) and Professor Rapson (Holm) spot some drastic climate changes - drops in water temperature, freak storms, hailstones the size of bricks. Now they must convince sceptical vice-president Becker (Welsh) that their initial estimation for the coming of the new ice age in '100 to 1000 years…
- 1h 35min
- Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Cast: Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, Tim Curry
Young peasant Jack accompanies Princess Lili to see the strongest and most beautiful creatures of the land, the Unicorns. However he does not know that Darkness plans on using the Princess in a plan to weaken the Unicorns and plunge the world into the shadows and an ice age. But will they succeed?
- 1h 58min
- Directed by: Robert Altman
- Cast: Paul Newman, Vittorio Gassman, Fernando Rey
Set in the future ice age, humanity occupies its time left on earth by playing a board game called Quintet. One group take it to the extreme however, and play with living pieces. In the end, only the winner can survive.
Also Released - Film25 Jun 2009
Blood: The Last Vampire (18) 91min Vampire hunter Saya (Gianna Jun) is unrivalled, but that’s because she is half bloodsucker herself – on her mother’s side. Will she go to the dark side or will she carry on fighting for the mortals? Popular anime gets…
The Nut Job8 Jul 2014
Bluntly animated and over-complicated Ice Age spin-off offering low entertainment
Like last year’s Free Birds, in which enterprising turkeys build a time machine and attempt to stop the first Thanksgiving, The Nut Job feels like an archly contrived excuse to justify the groaning pun of the title. The story of an eccentric squirrel…
22 Jump Street3 Jun 2014
Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum return in one of the finest sequels you're ever likely to see
Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum reunite to hilarious effect in 22 Jump Street, a rare sequel that actually manages to surpass the crowd-pleasing achievements of the original. Co-directed once again by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, this winning…
Ferdinand7 Dec 2017
John Cena and David Tennant lend their voices to an overcrowded but endearing animation
Neither prime grade nor old bull, this bovine animation is an amiable enough enterprise from Blue Sky, the studio the Ice Age movies built. Director Carlos Saldanha – a Blue Sky regular – extracts plenty that's endearing from a busy script, not least a…
Rio 21 Apr 2014
The sequel to 2010's animated parrot adventure is amiable but forgettable family entertainment
The brief appearance of the acorn-loving Scrat character over the Blue Sky logo at the start of Rio 2 is a reminder that this animation studio has now authored four films in the Ice Age franchise to date. These films had a strong, evolving plotline, but…
Early Man22 Jan 2018
Eddie Redmayne and Tom Hiddleston lend their voices to Aardman's prehistoric shenanigans
Between Pixar's The Good Dinosaur, Blue Sky's Ice Age and DreamWorks' The Croods, audiences' appetite for animated prehistoric parody seems well covered. Happily, no-one told Aardman Animations. If sea-faring competitors couldn't dampen the comic…